Here are some tips to Travel by Viazul Bus in Cuba from Bed and Breakfast in Cuba. Bus travel is an efficient way to get to know the main cities of the island. Prior to your 11 days tour, plan your own route and it will be easier to get tickets on the dates and hours you want.
How to get tickets for your bus travel in Cuba
Tourism in Cuba is growing, that means more visitors trying to catch a bus to get around the island. Although bus travel in Cuba is not the only way to go from one city to another, it is very effective.
Viazul bus network is the main bus company available for visitors from other countries. It goes through the main cities in comfortable vehicles. The buses depart from the station on time and there are always two drivers, even in short routes. If you are looking for the best cost-effective way to visit the island, this could be the best option.
Besides the number of tourists increasing, the availability of busses is still the same, so you will need to buy the tickets with in advance. There are two options to do it:
- The first one is trying to book your seat online. You will have to register yourself on Viazul’s website. Once you finish the process it is possible to see if the route you want is available. The company sells just a few seats in this way, so try to buy your tickets with -at least- seven days in advance. And don’t worry if the tickets online are sold out, you can always buy it at the station.
- The second option is at the Viazul bus station. Once you are in Cuba go to the station where you can get the tickets you need. It’s advisable to write down on a paper the route you require, date, time and number of tickets. Include the name of all passengers. You need to do this because it’s unlikely that the ticket seller speaks English. They will give you a receipt that you must show the day of the trip to obtain the boarding pass.
Tip: If you are going to buy the tickets on the station go to the website and take note of the timetables. Do it prior your trip to the island.
Travel by Viazul Bus in Cuba: 11 days tour
This bus company will take the tourists to the most popular destinations in Cuba. We’ll give you a route for traveling in this buses that will take 11 days, starting in Havana. You must have an 80 dollars budget per person for the bus tickets.
When you arrive in Havana the first thing to do is go to the station if you don’t have the tickets yet. The first stop will be Vinales, and then you’ll go to Cienfuegos, Trinidad, and Varadero. From this last stop, take the bus back to the capital city.
Spend the first night in Havana and the next day take the bus from Havana to Vinales. This is one of the most popular routes, so you need to arrive early at the station. The buses' itinerary to this destination is the following:
- Departure time: 9:00 am.
- Arrival time: 14:40 pm.
- Travel time: 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Price: 12 USD.
What to do in Vinales
We recommend you to stay in Vinales 2 nights before taking the bus again to Cienfuegos. Here are some activities to do while you are in town:
- Visit a traditional tobacco farm.
- Ride a boat inside Cueva del Indio.
- Go horseback riding at the valley.
- Take a tour to a rum factory.
- Visit the Cimarrones Park, the historical center and the Mural de la Prehistoria.
- Departure time: 6:45 am.
- Arrival time: 14:25 pm.
- Travel time: 9 hours and 10 minutes.
- Price: 32 USD.
Things to do in Cienfuegos
You could stay just one night in Cienfuegos, this will give you enough time to visit these places:
- The boardwalk of Cienfuegos. The best place to see the sunset.
- Walk among the luxury mansions of Punta Gorda.
- Jose Marti Park, located at the heart of Cienfuegos. Surrounded by the main touristic buildings.
- Go up to the lookout tower of the Palacio Ferrer. From there you can see the whole town.
- Visit the Catedral de la Purísima Concepción, near to the park.
Next, the bus service Cuba will take you to Trinidad, where you can stay 3 nights.
- Departure time: 16:05 am.
- Arrival time: 16:50 pm.
- Travel time: 45 minutes.
- Price: 6 USD.
What to do in Trinidad
During this time in Trinidad, you must visit the colonial town center. There you’ll find some markets to buy souvenirs. Other activities and places to go are:
- Visit Topes de Collantes National Park. You can take a horseback riding tour at the park.
- Take a bath at the natural pool at Topes de Collantes.
- Visit Playa Ancon, one of the best beaches in Cuba.
- Go to the top of the bell tower, in the city center to have a beautiful view of the town.
- Departure time: 7:05 am.
- Arrival time: 13:30 pm.
- Travel time: 6 hours 30 minutes.
- Price: 20 USD.
Things to do in Varadero in 2 days
In two days in Varadero, you have time to practice some water sports and visit some places around town. After arriving at the bus station Varadero go to:
- Scuba diving, this is one of the best places to do it.
- Visit Bellamar cave and Cave of the Muslims.
- Take a tour around the city.
- Attend the Punta Hicacos Natural Park and the dolphinarium.
- Visit Al Capone’s house.
- Enjoy a night at The Beatles bar.
- Departure time: 12:00.
- Arrival time: 15:30.
- Travel time: 3 hours 15 minutes.
- Price: 10 USD.
Things to do and see in Havana
This is the last stop, where you’ll spend the last days in Cuba. Until 2019 you can enjoy all the activities around the city to celebrate the 500 anniversary of Havana. There is a lot to do and places to see in the capital:
- Visit the Malecon.
- Watch how they make cigars at the tobacco factory.
- Enjoy the art galleries and artistic expressions in the streets of Havana.
- Go for a cocktail at Bodeguita del Medio and La Floridita.
- Take a tour around the historical buildings.
Take this itinerary to travel by Viazul Bus in Cuba and enjoy an 11 day tour. You’ll get to know some of the most popular towns in the island. Contact us to book your accommodation for this trip.